The history of our managers’ home
According to local historical records, our house was originally built by Mr H Blakeman around 1930, as he is listed as the ratepayer in 1931/32.
The house, named Saxby, was then owned by Harry and Alice Beck (listed as the ratepayers from 1935/36) for many years.
The Beck family had come to Margaret River from Bridgetown and Mrs Beck was known as a published author of poems, songs, prose and Letters to the Editor.
Ownership of the property then passed through several hands before Ross Haigh bought it in the 1980s.
The property was not at its best at the time and suffered several years of neglect through absentee-ownership, with some of the local teens using it as a gathering spot.
This prompted our first basic renovation.
Once we moved to the property in 1989, living at first in a converted shed whilst undertaking renovation and building work (as was the local fashion at the time), progress was more swift.
Those were fun early years, with lots of family and friends visiting and camping out with us; resident kangaroos and other wildlife; and even a friend’s camels staying overnight at one point (see Gallery for photos).
We also owned a couple of different trios of sheep, which was hilarious to onlookers and quite traumatic to us, before deciding we didn’t have the ‘right stuff’ for the farming life.
Once we decided to build tourism accommodation onsite, it was necessary to relocate the home slightly forward on the block, so renowned home relocator Percy Putt came down and the house was propped up, put on the back of a truck and moved slightly forward onto new stumps.
Whilst the original home has been almost doubled in size and has new outdoor areas, we have always done our best to keep the work consistent with the original building style.
We resisted the bulldozers advised by a few friends in the early years, because we fell in love with the house, the property, the location and the history and we still feel the same about those things today.